Best Termite Barrier Treatment Company in North Brisbane
We treat everything that creeps, crawls & gnaws!
What are Termites?
A small pest with a big appetite!
Termites are considered to be one of the most destructive pests in the world. They are insects, which mostly feed on dead plant matter like woodchip, decayed wood (logs), leaf litter and soil. They are sometimes called “white ants” but they are only distantly related to ants.
Termites most commonly found in homes here include:
- Subterranean termite – found throughout the Australia. As their name suggests, they live underground in nests.
- Damp Wood termite – favor damp conditions and like to live in extreme moisture conditions. These termites enter homes through wood that is in contact with damp soil.
- Dry Wood termite – found near coastal areas. These termites do not need much moisture to survive.
What are termite barriers?
The most common types of termite management system we install are:
- Chemical termite barrier. A chemical termite barrier involves applying a liquid chemical to the soil, either under concrete and/or around the perimeter of the building or its foundations. It is commonly the most suitable option for people who want to protect their homes from termite infestation.
- Chemical reticulation system. A termite reticulation system is a flexible hose that is buried around the perimeter sections of a building. The hose is a strong pipe with holes throughout and a fill point at one end. This allows us to replenish the chemical termite barriers in a much more efficient and less disruptive manner.
- Monitoring & Baiting System. Plastic monitors are buried at 3 meter spacings around the perimeter of the building containing an irresistible bait that attracts the termites. Once installed, regular inspections are required, which may vary from one to six monthly intervals depending on the level of termite activity.
- Termite Mesh / Physical Termite Barrier. If you’re building a new house, your builder will likely arrange for a physical termite guard to be installed, such as a wire mesh system or a flexible, durable treated laminate . These work by physically denying termite entry through underground tunnels.
Do I need Termite Protection?
In Brisbane termites are very active, particularly during the warmer months. If your home isn’t protected against their entry or you have found termite damage already, then a termite barrier is one of your options for preventing further attack.
Not sure if you already have termite damage? We offer a comprehensive termite inspection service so we can find termites before they cause damage to your home or business. If we do find termite activity, we will also recommend solutions for effectively treating those termites that are already inside the structure. All active termites must be killed BEFORE you install any termite protection.
A termite barrier is a highly recommended option for termite defence. If termites can gain access to the building’s timber framework and floorboards, they will be able to severely damage your property. Termites are known for gnawing through timber beams including the all important structural timbers of your home.
Termite tunnels in foundations and floors can also cause considerable structural damage by weakening the house itself. A termite barrier is designed to protect all of these areas as they work to block the paths that termites use to enter your home.
Termite barriers also protect from re-infestation by preventing termites from entering again after you’ve made those often expensive repairs.
Call Us For a Free Termite Inspection
Chemical Termite barrier versus termite monitor and bait system?
Once termite barriers have been installed using a chemical such as Termidor or Fipforce HP, the manufacturer’s instructions indicate between five to eight years of protection for your home.
The only additional cost is for an annual termite inspection – to check that the chemical barrier has not been affected by any changes, like gardening or renovations, and also maintain any product warranty like the $2 Million warranty offered from BASF when using Termidor.
Termite monitor and bait systems usually cost less to install, however require ongoing regular inspections which can add up significantly year after year.
How much does it cost to install termite protection including maintenance costs?
The cost of the initial installation of the termite barrier will vary depending on the type of termite prevention system installed. In our experience, the cost to install a termite barrier in a typical North Brisbane home is between $1500 (for a small home) to $4000 (for a large home).
Termite baiting and monitoring systems installed around the Moreton Bay Region usually cost between $2000 (for a small home) to $3000 (for a large home).
Maintenance costs depend on how often the technician will need to return for regular inspections. Typically this is between one to six months, usually costing between $400 to $600 annually. Some homes better suit a termite barrier over a termite monitor and bait system – call us to discuss your particular situation.
Call Us To Find The Best Termite Control Option For You
Is a termite barrier worth it?
The cost of the installation will easily out-weigh the cost of repairs from termite infestation. Most insurers in Australia don’t provide ‘termite insurance’ (or more accurately insurance for damage by pests). This is because it is preventable, unlike a flood or a bushfire, which is not.
When you take into account that termites are drawn to the wooden components of your house, which can include structural elements, and can undermine the safety of your home unnoticed for a long time, getting protection and peace of mind with a licensed termite barrier installer is a small price to pay.
How long do termite barriers last?
There will always be termites around Brisbane. A chemical termite barrier treatment is an affordable long term option that prevents them from entering your property. We recommend replacing your chemical barrier between five and eight years according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Recommended replacement dates are based on various factors including the type of soil we are treating around the property and also termite pressure experienced within the area. We use only the best quality Fipronil based chemicals and can offer you options that best suit your needs and your budget.
Speak to one of our experienced technicians regarding your requirements.
Are termites common in Brisbane?
Brisbane has experienced exponential growth since 2006. This has led to an increased risk of getting termites in Brisbane homes simply due to the expansion of their food sources (all the timber in those new homes).
Can I spray for termites myself?
Installing cheap, DIY termite barriers is not recommended because if not installed correctly, could expose you and your family to harmful chemicals. If you want effective termite control along with peace of mind call Squished Pest & Termite Management, your local pest control company – fully QBCC licensed and insured, we can offer a $2Million warranty on the products we use.
Why You Need a Fully Insured, Fully Licensed, Termite Barrier Treatment Company
Any termite barrier treatment is only as effective as the person installing it. A termite treatment process cannot fully protect you from termites unless it has been provided by an experienced, well trained termite protection company such as Squished Pest & Termite Management based on Brisbane’s Northside.